KIDS (Kids In Difficult Situations)Serving Newton County
KIDS is an intensive home-based therapy intervention program designed to assist families with their current situation. The program attempts to restore stability in the home by identifying and building upon family strengths. KIDS relies on a specially trained team of Therapists, whose goal is to enhance the family’s competence and coping abilities.
KIDS uses an innovative approach that does not require that the family “fit” the system, but rather promotes a system that fits the individual needs of the family.
The Purpose of KIDS
To empower families by increasing their knowledge about parenting and nurturing.
To aid in the creation of a stable environment to ensure normal emotional and educational development for children.
To reduce cases of child abuse and neglect.
Who KIDS Serves
- Families that are in a crisis situation and are in need of counseling.
- Families in which there has been suspected child abuse or neglect, but not yet substantiated by the Division of Family and Children.
- Families in need of basic parenting skills including discipline, nutrition, and other skills necessary for the care of children.
- Families unable to cope with day-to-day problems.
The impact of KIDS on families
- Works intensively in the home with the family for eight to twelve weeks.
- Provides staff who is on call 24-hours a day to provide both counseling and help with practical problems.
- Assists with community resources.
- Offers formal and informal community support networking.
- Teaches child management, discipline and nurturing techniques.
- Counsels on budgeting and nutrition.
- Helps families learn to help themselves and to enhance their own competence.
KIDS receiving referrals
Referrals can be made by fax, mail, email, or telephone from a referral source in the community. A referral source can be the school administrator, juvenile probation officer, social service provider or anyone concerned about the welfare of children. Services are provided at no cost to the family. Self referrals are also accepted.
The needs of KIDS from the family
- The conviction that you have strengths, potential and the capacity to grow and change.
- The willingness to work with the KIDS program and to be partners in the process of change.
- The ability to trust the KIDS team.
- The commitment to change.
The KIDS Team
- The community or families make referrals to the KIDS program.
- KIDS Program Manager – Administers the KIDS program and acts as liaison to community services.
- KIDS Staff – Works with the family to prevent placement of children and provide 24-hours-a-day crisis intervention to assist the family to develop new problem solving skills.
KIDS is funded by the Department of Children Services. Additional funding for Newton County made possible by Newton County Step-Ahead.